Monday, September 20, 2021

Mariam Mohammed’s tips for managing energy and wellbeing

Mariam Mohammed is a speaker, entrepreneur, and co-founder of MoneyGirl, a social enterprise that provides financial literacy to young women and has a great approach to making the most of the day.

And she has an important tip for all of us: stop scrolling Instagram. You don’t need influencers in your life which makes you feel awful so they can sell more of what they are selling on the platform, she says. Mariam made these comments even before we learned that Facebook was doing research on the harmful effects of Instagram on the mental health of teenage girls.

Mariam is the latest in our health Q&A, where women from different backgrounds share how they deal with their health.

She speaks honestly about the morning fight, as well as the huge role dance plays in her daily exercise regimen and as a tool in supporting her mental health.

Mariam was a guest on the fourth season of our podcast series “The Leadership Lessons” of the women’s agenda. You can listen to her raw interview here where she speaks openly about gaining financial independence after escaping domestic violence.

*****
Get the women’s health news in your inbox. Our weekly update for women who live real life.

In the morning I have …

Take ~ 2 hours to properly wake up.

I turn off my 5th alarm clock and start the day with some water. If you’ve ever met me, you know my water bottle is always an arm’s length from me. You have to stay hydrated if you want to change the world!

Then I make my beloved chai – locally produced, sourced from an Australian social enterprise, Miks Chai. This is my favorite part of my morning ritual.

I enjoy my cup, usually with some granola or avo toast. And that’s why I can’t buy a house in Sydney, and not because the mortgage invention is insane.

Meanwhile, I listen to instrumental music to calm the existential fear of a dying planet. I usually follow this up with some yoga. Sometimes I can even meditate. But most of the time, I’m just super pumped up, really getting out of bed. Hooray!

My training program includes …

To dance. There is hardly anything else in the world that can convince me to exercise regularly.

I do yoga a few days a week. I also enjoy walks and hikes. But by dancing I stay mentally and physically fit.

In a pre-lockdown world, these were dance hall classes at my local dance studio DUTI. In this post-apocalyptic world, it’s all I can do with the cursor online.

My favorite workout is …

A dance hall course in the DUTI Studios!

I find balance in …

~ Sleep 9 hours a day, play another 8 hours, and work on what’s left.

I live with highly functional anxiety and ADHD. Basically, this means that my brain is seldom silent. Second, my energy comes in waves.

So, first of all, I have to prioritize gaming in order to take care of my mental health. Dance for example!

Second, I have to lean into my energy flow. This means that some days I won’t work at all, but then on a day when my energy peaks, I more than made up for it.

Yeah, I know in your 9-5 world that doesn’t make any sense. Fortunately, I grew up in a different culture so my determination to follow an arbitrary system doesn’t exist. And oops, there it is – my balance lies in my lack of rigidity.

In terms of health, I encourage women to …

Stop scrolling Instagram.

No seriously. Does this influencer get you mad about your skin? CONSEQUENCES. This celebrity makes you feel insecure so that they can sell you tea? CONSEQUENCES. That side that makes you question your body? FOLLOW THIS SHXT.



source https://www.bisayanews.com/2021/09/20/mariam-mohammeds-tips-for-managing-energy-and-wellbeing/

No comments:

Post a Comment