Tuesday, September 21, 2021

How Max Verstappen Trains His Neck to Prepare for The Intense G-Force on Track

The interesting thing about a device like this is that it is used almost exclusively by F1 drivers. Why? It aims to strengthen the neck muscles for the incredible G-Force that they have to cope with on the track at speeds over 200 km / h. (For comparison, the average roller coaster could expose you to 3g of force, and most untrained people might pass out between 4 and 6g).

Driver colleague Carlos Sainz explained the mood well in an interview, revealing the acute hardships and dilemma of the neck and limbs they face in regular races. “It affects you a lot, especially the neck,” he said, “no matter how hard you train at home, it’s impossible to create the g-forces you will get in an F1 car.”

He continued, “The track they choose for the first race will have a big impact on how much the riders struggle after all these months without driving or neck training. It will be a very difficult challenge.

“People cannot imagine the strain on the body during a Grand Prix. The only way to be fit to drive an F1 car is to drive an F1 car, ”he said.

While the Belgian-Dutch racer Sainz agrees, he told Men’s Health that while it was the hardest, it was only a small part of his overall training program.

“For me, the hardest part of the race physically is the strain on my neck, lower back and the forces you feel when the car breaks. Neck force is very important. As drivers we have to be strong, but we can.” We are not too muscular, otherwise we would be too heavy for the car, “says Max.” I use a combination of watt bike, ski erg, dumbbells and balance exercises. I try to mix it up so it’s not always the same unit and I have a great team to lead me. “

Max Verstappen

Verstappen does a less intense neck exercise at home in Monaco.

“During the season, the training depends on whether we race or not. Let’s say that if we have a week’s break from racing, Monday is my rest day. From Tuesday to Thursday, I do 1-2 training sessions a day, depending on like “We were busy the weeks before and I would take Saturday and Sunday off to relax. We travel a lot and spend a lot of time in the simulator, so I want to do at least three training sessions a week during the season.”

And this preparation continues until you step into the racing car. “Before I jump into the car, I warm up my neck, back and leg muscles. I do a few jumps, squats and calf raises – and use my Theragun in between. “

His Theragun, which Verstappen calls an ambassador for a partnership with Red Bull, is part of a recovery routine that puts a heavy strain on treating the neck area after hours of sitting.

“We put our bodies to a very high level in Formula 1. We drive at 200 miles per hour, experience high G-force and sit in the same position for hours. That makes recovery incredibly important,” he tells us. “I use Theragun to speed my recovery and reduce pain after getting off the bus. After leaving the track, I sometimes do a cycle or two in my RecoveryAir boots, which I like to use because I can just relax while I’m recovering. “

In addition to a fairly regulated training program during the racing season, Verstappen also pays attention to a nutrient-rich diet. “My diet is also carefully managed as body weight is very important in racing. So I always make sure that I eat a lot – because it’s a physically demanding sport – but watch what I eat,” he says. “My diet also changes depending on the racetrack and weather conditions. For example, in wet weather I burn so many calories when I’m on the track.”

That, along with focusing on his mental health, has put Verstappen in such an incredible position this season – we all agree on that.

“I’ve raced my whole life. At the end of the day it’s the same: lights go on, lights go out, you drive off, you try to win the race. It’s been like this since I was seven years old. I think the more you do it, the easier you are with yourself. I don’t think too much about pressure. I know when I’m in the car I have to deliver and I have to do my best, but I tell myself also that I can’t do more than my best. So I think that takes a lot of pressure. “

“There are still a lot of races in the season so we’re not looking too far ahead. My focus in every race is to do my best.”



source https://www.bisayanews.com/2021/09/21/how-max-verstappen-trains-his-neck-to-prepare-for-the-intense-g-force-on-track/

No comments:

Post a Comment